I want to take this week to describe some of the ministry opportunities going on in student ministry, give people an idea of what we offer, so today we are going to look at Resurrection, ministry for 7th/8th grade:
Why: We wanted to create an environment where middle school students could come each Sunday to socialize with their peers and learn the skills and habits to go deeper in their faith. Through the two years that they spend in Resurrection we want the students to develop spiritual habits that will develop them into servant leaders in high school.
Where: Theater and Classroom Wing
When: 6:30pm – 8pm
Before it all starts:
- 6pm – Adults and Small Group Leaders show up
- 6pm-6:30pm – Prayer and Review of the Day
- 6:30pm – 6:45pm – Leaders greet students as they enter the Theater.
The program begins:
In the Theater (6:45pm – 7:25pm):
- Musical Worship (Contemporary music lead by our student worship band)
- Reflection/Activity (This activity is to help the students a. serve as an icebreaker, b. help the students prepare for the message, c. challenge them to go deeper in their relationship with Christ)
- Message (This message is similar to the one heard by Father White on the weekends; however, is crafted to a middle school level)
In the Small Groups (7:25pm – 8pm):
Small groups are composed of 8-10 teens divided up by grade and gender (i.e. 7th grade guys group) that are lead by at least one adult. The group spends 35 minutes together breaking down the message further, sharing with each other what’s going on in their lives and praying for one another.
- We pray at the end of the crowd program in the theater and ask that the groups pray together before discussion.
Share Life Together
- At the beginning of each group we want the adult leaders to check-in with the students see how their week went.
- Then each leader will ask the group a series of questions that pertain to the message. The questions are map to going deeper in the message.
Praying for One Another
- After everyone shares or there has been a period of silence the small group leader will ask all the teens to bow their heads in prayer.
Before They Go Home
- 7:57pm – Prayer
- 8pm – Dismissal