I want to take this week to describe some of the ministry opportunities going on in student ministry, give people an idea of what we offer, so today we are going to look at Uprising ministry for High School Students:
Why: We wanted to create an environment where high school students could come each Thursday to socialize with their peers, learn the skills and habits to go deeper in their faith and get motivated for the weekend. Through the four years that they spend in Uprising we want the students to gain the tools and build the habits that will prepare them for their adult lives. Because we work to get them into a ministry, connect them in accountable relationships, and empower them to share their faith with other, our hope is that when they graduate high school they won’t graduate their faith.
Where: Cafe/Pavilion, Theater and Classroom Wing
When: Thursdays, 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Before it all starts:
- 6pm – Adults and Small Group Leaders show up
- 6pm-6:30pm – Prayer and Review of the Day
- 6:30pm – 7pm – Leaders greet students as they enter the Cafe/Pavilion, for food, video games, ping pong, etc.
The program begins:
In the Theater (7pm – 7:55pm):
- Musical Worship (Contemporary music lead by our student worship band)
- Reflection/Activity (This activity is to help the students a. serve as an icebreaker, b. help the students prepare for the message, c. challenge them to go deeper in their relationship with Christ, d.just have fun)
- Message (This message is similar to the one heard by Father White on the weekends; however, is crafted to a middle school level)
In the Small Groups (7:55pm – 8:30pm):
Small groups are composed of 8-10 teens divided up by grade and gender (i.e. 10th grade girls group) that are lead by at least one adult. The group spends 35 minutes together breaking down the message further, sharing with each other what’s going on in their lives and praying for one another.
- We pray at the end of the crowd program in the theater and ask that the groups pray together before discussion.
Share Life Together
- At the beginning of each group we want the adult leaders to check-in with the students see how their week went.
- Then each leader will ask the group a series of questions that pertain to the message. The questions are map to going deeper in the message.
Praying for One Another
- After everyone shares or there has been a period of silence the small group leader will ask all the teens to bow their heads in prayer.
Before They Go Home
- 8:25pm – Prayer
- 8:30pm – Dismissal